Essential Things You Need To Know Before Working as a Contractor in the UK

Essential Things You Need To Know Before Working as a Contractor in the UK

  • Before working as a contractor in the UK, you must understand the different types of contracts.
  • Compliance with IR35 regulations is crucial to determining whether you’re an independent contractor or an employee.
  • Obtaining Public Liability insurance is mandatory, and Professional Indemnity and Employers’ Liability insurance is also recommended.
  • Contractors are responsible for their taxes and record keeping, including keeping detailed financial documents for up to seven years.
  • The PQP CSCS card is essential to demonstrate proficiency and experience in working safely on clients’ sites.

Are you a businessman or entrepreneur who wants to work as a contractor in the UK? Working as a contractor can be both challenging and rewarding, but before you start, it’s essential to understand the UK’s rules and regulations. In this blog, you will learn crucial things you need to know before working as a contractor in the UK.

Types of Contracts

Understanding the different types of contracts is crucial before working as a contractor in the UK. The four common contract types are as follows:


An umbrella company is a business that acts as an intermediary between contractor and their clients. This arrangement provides contractors with access to PAYE, pensions, benefits, and other employee rights.

Limited Company

With a limited company contract, the contractor runs their own small business and contracts out services. A limited company contract offers contractors more control over their finances and greater tax efficiency.


The PAYE contract is commonly used for temporary contracts and casual work. In this arrangement, the contractor’s wages are subject to income tax, National Insurance Contribution (NIC), and other deductions.


In a freelance or self-employed contract, the contractor is not employed by the client and does not have access to benefits and other employee rights. Contractors are responsible for their own taxes and must register with HMRC as self-employed.

The UK authorities have specific regulations for each of these types, and it’s essential to choose the best fit based on your circumstances, skills, and goals.

IR35 Regulations

The IR35 regulations are an essential aspect of working as a contractor in the UK. These regulations help determine whether you are an independent contractor or an employee under UK law. Failing to comply with IR35 regulations can result in penalties or legal action. Ensure that you stay up-to-date with the latest IR35 changes and ensure your contractor work meets these standards.


discussion between financial agent and client

Contractors in the UK must have Public Liability insurance at a minimum. Public Liability insurance ensures protection against any damages or injuries that occur while working on clients’ premises. You should also consider additional insurance, such as Professional Indemnity and Employers’ Liability insurance, to protect yourself from potential losses.

Additionally, insurance policies vary from provider to provider, so it’s essential to research the best fit for you. You should also review your policies regularly to ensure they are up-to-date and fit your needs.

Taxes and Record Keeping

Contractors are responsible for setting aside and paying their taxes in the UK. In addition, it’s essential to keep receipts, invoices, and other financial documents for up to seven years. Maintaining detailed records is critical for tax compliance and for tracking your business’s financial performance over time. Additionally, you should consider hiring an accountant to help you keep track of your finances and ensure that you file all necessary tax documents in a timely manner.

Payment Terms

credit cards

Understanding payment terms is crucial for contractors in the UK. Many clients will have set payment terms, and it’s essential to have clear communication and agreements in place beforehand. You should also consider setting up invoicing and payroll systems to manage your finances efficiently.


The CSCS card is an essential piece of identification for contractors in the UK. This card demonstrates that you have the necessary qualifications, skills, and experience to work safely on clients’ sites. You can acquire this card by taking up a PQP CITB test. This test involves a series of health and safety assessments, and successful completion of the test is mandatory to acquire your CSCS card. Having this card will also show your clients that you have the necessary qualifications and experience to work on their sites.

Working as a contractor in the UK can be a gratifying experience, but it’s essential to understand all the regulations that come with it. From understanding different types of contracts and IR35 regulations to having insurance and paying taxes on time, these are things you need to know before working as a contractor in the UK.

Also, don’t forget about getting your PQP CSCS card – this is important for showing clients that you have the qualifications and experience for their sites. With proper preparation and expert guidance, you should successfully navigate any challenges that may arise during your contracting career.

Leave a Comment

Scroll to Top